Saturday, August 1, 2009

“Saving The Wild Flowers”
By Rachael Waller- Southern CA



Mother’s Day 09- I prepared to meet a new herd at Lifesavers.

The arrival of 26 surviving 3 strikes ranch horses arrive at Lifesavers Wild Horse rescue in Lancaster California.

Lifesaver’s is run by Jill Starr, who last year made the top ten for Animal Planet “Hero of the year”. Jill has saved thousands in year lifetime. From the first Mustang she could save at auction with her own saved money, to the hundreds that call home at her rescue and sanctuary, to those in need her hand extends without a thought. I have seen Jill jump on a plane to lend a hand, ship food to starving horses, she constantly amazes me at the amount of love and energy she has and all of the horses that are lucky enough to join her are changed for the better every time.

While donating my services the story of The Three strikes horses from Nebraska broke. In no time Jill was there to lend a hand. A month later 26 of some of the survivors arrived to a group of open arms, fresh hay, and cool water.

I woke up at 5:30 am, the alarm wasn’t going to go off for another 30 minutes,
but the day ahead of me was one I knew would be in my memories forever.

As we approached the ranch we were greeted by Mark who told us “they are here” as we got to the far pen we could see them unloading. Waving from on top of the trailer was none other than owner and president of Lifesavers Jill Starr with a huge smile on her face she was waving at us and said “ Well here they are!“ and there they were.

My first thoughts: starving, angry, MAD, peace, near death herd of horses. Then “WHY!?” I choked back the tears and somehow one foot went in front of the other. I was stunned over what was before me.
It still brings tears to my eyes even as I write this or look at the photos.


I walked in the pen and started to ease around the skinny equine skeletons, respecting their space and the hell that had just come from .

Click, click, a few shots.
Then I would just stare at them, hand over mouth, everyone was quiet.
We all just mingled among them it was as if we were in the presence of spirits that hadn’t quite left this world yet. Here we all were trying to convince them to stay, even if it was just for a while. What ever they could handle we could accept.

We checked for shipping wounds, recording numbers, documenting who had the worst diarrhea in the bunch. I still remember 3752 , 3753, 3755, 3887 I called out to Chris who had the clip board.
Out of the bunch was a little blue colt, the one that had been taken to the Vet’s by the ranch owner (due to pending investigation shall remain nameless)...they called him “Baby Blue” , I heard Rod ( Rondeaux Crow Indian horseman who offers his services for free to Jill) call out “hey, the blue colt, “ then he was quiet for a minute. He was one of the worst in the bunch. Open raw wounds on his legs from his skinny frail body laying on hard surfaces, had a left for dead look about him. Rod then spoke again “ call him Lazarus“…the resurrection of Lazarus, the name is often used to connote apparent restoration to life. The name was very fitting. To me they were all Lazarus, they had survived.


I continued to mingle among them, walking softly, respecting their space and journey.
Click, click a few more shots, then I felt a presence coming behind me, I gently reached my hand out behind me and slowly turned, staring at me was a very skinny mare “3752” said her tag, her eyes were tired, but full of hope. “Hi sweetie,” I said. She came closer. Mane thinned out, hips showing, shoulder blades with just skin draped over bone, she came a bit closer still. I slowly held my camera out for her to smell, something I always do. She smelled it, and looked at me.
She smelled it again and then slowly walked back to the hay.


It was like a strange dream walking amongst them, the sun was out, but everything seemed fuzzy. The healthy mustangs and wild horses from the “20” were nickering and romping around trying to stand tall enough to get a look at the new arrivals. I laughed; calling them the “peanut gallery” they are so goofy and fun.

I commented and shot a photo of them thru the slats of the 3 strikes pen,
“yea, some of them looked like this too at one time” Jill said as she smiled and turned her head back to the herd.


There were two mares nursing foals, it took all they could to give the milk, it was a struggle. They were all like ghosts passing before me in the mix, walking, dragging their feet, some with sores, tired, but they all still had this look of hope in their eyes.


As I was standing, 3752 came back to me, I told Jill “I will have to call her Canon Girl, she likes my camera” then she smelled my hands, and looked so deep into my soul I could feel her sorrow and joy at the same time.
She stood with me for a while then I stepped away. She really needed to eat not socialize. Bless her heart for taking a moment for me. After all humans had done to her she still took a chance and I am glad she did.

But she never stopped watching me Canon girl… like I knew her.
Call it being an Indian girl, but she knew me. Indians believe that horses are reincarnated relatives. Maybe we knew each other long ago…we know each other now.

Later that evening at home I looked through the photos of the day and crying again, both with anger and will joy that at least they were safe now.

I got an email from Jill, one of the Mares had a filly just an hour ago. Wow, I told Jill “call her Wild Flower, it is Mother’s Day after all.” I still couldn’t wrap my head around the thought of one of them giving birth in their condition and I was grateful Jill was there to help with the birth. We were all grateful she wasn’t born on the shipping trailer, but that wasn’t to be Wild Flower’s fate. Her life is sunshine and love, jumping and kicking, with a bunch of people all around. She will never know the life her herd had, and it is a good thing.

Three months later they are all thriving and filling out. Room to play and romp and life goes on.

There will be another herd in need, although I always pray there isn’t, but I can guarantee you that Jill Starr will be there, and I hope I am too. It is important that all cases of rescue are documented. We need to keep it in our minds and understand that these living beautiful creatures are threatened every day. If we all just do a little something their lives and ours will be grateful for the kindness.

I can say that was one of the best Mother's day's I have had.


-Rachael Waller is a professional photographer in Southern CA & West Texas
To view more images and follow the journey of healing with this herd please visit:
www.RachaelWallerphotography.smugmug.com
Please visit Wildhorserescue.org For more on the amazing work Lifesaver’s does.
Donations are needed and may be directed to the 3 strikes herd or for the many others in need at the resuce and sanctuary.
Rachael Waller donates a portion of all Lifesavers Photography sales directly to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment